At work, I been delegated the responsibility of helping roll out the intranet. Sure, I can do it. I like this stuff, but I decided I would create a simple checklist for those people that do not know the things to consider when making an intranet.
1. What is your business case for building the intranet?
2. Who can publish to the intranet?
3. What types of content can be published?
4. Will content be reviewed by someone in an editorial position?
5. How will content be produced?
6. Is there a structure you want set down for HTML docs? Fonts? Colors? Layout?
7. What legal issues surround the intranet? Logo use? Copyright issues?
8. Who has ownership of applications and content?
9. Are there security concerns for the intranet?
10. Will some intranet content be open to those outside the firewall?
11. How will testing and loading occur?
12. What technologies are allowed for intranet applications?
13. What types of tools can be used for creation of content and publishing?
14. Who will control licensing concerns?
15. Will multimedia be used?
16. What is the impact of the intranet on network bandwidth?
17. Who will monitor network and server impact?
18. Who is responsible for maintenance and backups of intranet data?
19. How will standards and guidelines be communicated to employees?
20. By what standard will you measure the success of the intranet?